The KP Difference
At Kaiser Permanente, we are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. Driven by our mission to provide the highest quality preventive medicine, we are committed to eliminating health care disparities, and to making lives better through innovation, technology, and research.
Our desire to deliver the best possible care inspires us to promote wellness among our members, communities, and each other. It also fuels our belief that everyone — regardless of circumstance — deserves access to affordable care, which further drives our motivation to expand our reach.
Founded nearly 80 years ago, our unique business model sets us apart — positioning us to drive improvements across the industry and around the world.
Our Business Model
Operating in eight regions across the U.S., with headquarters in Oakland, California, the key to our model's success is having insurance, care providers, and care services all under one roof.
Kaiser Foundation Health Plans
Our not-for-profit insurance plans and offerings.
Kaiser Foundation Hospitals
The nonprofit, public benefit corporation that owns and operates community hospitals and outpatient facilities.
Permanente Medical Groups
Our physicians and clinicians, part of 8 independently operated medical groups.
Who We Are: 2020 by the Numbers
- 12.5M Members
- 217K Employees
- 24K Physicians
- 64K Nurses
- 120K Babies Delivered
- 6.9M Video Visits
- 42.4M Secure Emails Sent
- 93.4M Prescriptions Filled
- 39 Hospitals
- 727 Medical Offices & Other Care Facilities
- $6.4B Net Income
- $88.7B Operating Revenue
A Leader in Health
- 34 No.1 Ranking in NCQA Quality Measures
- 32 Hospitals rated ‘high performing” in U.S. News and World Report
- 10 Consecutive years we have earned the Pharmacy Quality Alliance’s Excellence in Quality Award
- 42M Prescriptions Refilled Online
- 6.4M Online Requests for Appointments
- 7.7M Members Registered on kp.org
- 60.6M Lab Test Results Viewed Online
- 2,355 Studies underway (Clinical Trials Included)
- 185 Full-time Researchers
- 1,925 Articles Published
- $2.56B Amount spent with women-and-minority owned business
- 1M People served by Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program
- 100% Purchased electricity covered by Renewable Energy Credits
Numbers Based on Our 2020 Annual Report
Partnership in Practice
Inspiring ongoing communication, innovation, high performance, and pride, our Labor Management Partnership is the most comprehensive of its kind.
We are 280,000+, working as one. And each one of us is essential to achieving our collective mission. Explore what it means to be a part of an incredible team that is leading an industry.
Don’t be shy. Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.