At Kaiser Permanente, we are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. Driven by our mission to provide the highest quality preventive medicine, we are committed to eliminating health care disparities, and to making lives better through innovation, technology, and research.
Our desire to deliver the best possible care inspires us to promote wellness among our members, communities, and each other. It also fuels our belief that everyone — regardless of circumstance — deserves access to affordable care, which further drives our motivation to expand our reach.
Founded nearly 80 years ago, our unique business model sets us apart — positioning us to drive improvements across the industry and around the world.
Our Business Model
Operating in eight regions across the U.S., with headquarters in Oakland, California, the key to our model's success is having insurance, care providers, and care services all under one roof.
Kaiser Foundation Health Plans
Our not-for-profit insurance plans and offerings.
Kaiser Foundation Hospitals
The nonprofit, public benefit corporation that owns and operates community hospitals and outpatient facilities.
Permanente Medical Groups
Our physicians, represented nationally by The Permanente Federation.
- 12.2M Members
- 276K Employees
- 23K Physicians
- 120K Babies Delivered
- 47M Doctor Office Visits
- 143K Inpatient Surgeries
- 92.6M Prescriptions Filled
- 39 Hospitals
- 694 Medical Offices & Other Care Facilities
- $79.7B Operating Revenue
- $2.5B Net Income
A Leader in Health
- 42 No. 1 Rankings in NCQA Quality Measures
- 29 Hospitals rated “high performing” in U.S. News and World Report’s annual survey
- 8 Consecutive years we have earned the Pharmacy Quality Alliance’s Excellence in Quality Award
- 53M Lab Test Results Viewed Online
- 31M Prescriptions Refilled Online
- 6M Online Requests for Appointments
- 6.7M Members Registered on kp.org
- 28M Secure Emails Sent
- 2,397 Studies underway (Clinical Trials Included)
- 1,863 Full-time Researchers and Support Staff
- 1,780 Articles Published
- $1.9B Amount spent with women- and minority-owned businesses
- 969K People served by Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Plan
- 35 Percent of operations powered by renewable electricity
Numbers Based on Our 2018 Annual Report
Meet Bernard J. Tyson, Chairman and CEO
A Bay Area native, Bernard J. Tyson has been driving change at our organization for more than 30 years. With a career path that has spanned roles from hospital administrator to division president to president and chief operating officer, he exemplifies the growth and reach a career at Kaiser Permanente can afford.
Dedicated to delivering greater affordability to all, Tyson is a strong advocate for eliminating health care disparities. His influence has been felt both nationally and internationally and, in 2017, he was named in Time Magazine's annual 'TIME 100', its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world. On the global stage, Tyson co-chairs the World Economic Forum's Future of Healthy initiative and recently completed a two-year term as co-chair of the Health Governors Conference.
Follow Bernard J. Tyson
We are 276,000+, working as one. And each one of us is essential to achieving our collective mission. Explore what it means to be a part of an incredible team that is leading an industry.
Innovation permeates all we do. Learn about the ways we drive, embrace, and celebrate progress every day.
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.