At Kaiser Permanente, we are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. Driven by our mission to provide the highest quality preventive medicine, we are committed to eliminating health care disparities, and to making lives better through innovation, technology, and research.
Our desire to deliver the best possible care inspires us to promote wellness among our members, communities, and each other. It also fuels our belief that everyone — regardless of circumstance — deserves access to affordable care, which further drives our motivation to expand our reach.
Founded nearly 80 years ago, our unique business model sets us apart — positioning us to drive improvements across the industry and around the world.
Our Business Model
Operating in eight regions across the U.S., with headquarters in Oakland, California, the key to our model's success is having insurance, care providers, and care services all under one roof.
Kaiser Foundation Health Plans
Our not-for-profit insurance plans and offerings.
Kaiser Foundation Hospitals
The nonprofit, public benefit corporation that owns and operates community hospitals and outpatient facilities.
Permanente Medical Groups
Our physicians and clinicians, part of 8 independently operated medical groups.
- 12.4M Members
- 280K Employees
- 23K Physicians
- 113K Babies Delivered
- 47M Doctor Office Visits
- 143K Inpatient Surgeries
- 95.2M Prescriptions Filled
- 39 Hospitals
- 724 Medical Offices & Other Care Facilities
- $88.7B Operating Revenue
- $7.4B Net Income
A Leader in Health
- 52 No. 1 Rankings in NCQA Quality Measures
- 31 Hospitals rated “high performing” in U.S. News and World Report’s annual survey
- 9 Consecutive years we have earned the Pharmacy Quality Alliance’s Excellence in Quality Award
- 60.6M Lab Test Results Viewed Online
- 34.2M Prescriptions Refilled Online
- 8M Online Requests for Appointments
- 7.1M Members Registered on kp.org
- 31.6M Secure Emails Sent
- 2,620 Studies underway (Clinical Trials Included)
- 1,850 Full-time Researchers and Support Staff
- 1,890 Articles Published
- $1.9B Amount spent on women- and minority-owned businesses
- 977K People served by Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Plan
- 67 Percent of operations powered by renewable electricity
Numbers Based on Our 2020 Annual Report
We are 280,000+, working as one. And each one of us is essential to achieving our collective mission. Explore what it means to be a part of an incredible team that is leading an industry.
Innovation permeates all we do. Learn about the ways we drive, embrace, and celebrate progress every day.